Energy and water conservation
Here we refer to the ways in which we try to achieve our goal but also how you, during your stay, will be able to contribute, with your experience and your help to its success.
Lighting: The hotel boasts large windows, glassed-in balconies, and light- coloured surfaces to take advantage of the natural light and minimize the use of electric lighting fixtures. Lighting inside and outside the pool with LED bulbs and a timer. LED bulbs in all rooms and public areas as well as the replacement of conventional lamps with economy lamps. Light activation in public areas uses motion detectors.
Controlled electricity: Card keys in all rooms to check electricity consumption. On leaving the room the guest removes the card which immediately disconnects the power supply.
Energy saving facilities: LED lamps in all areas. Motion detectors in public areas, solar panels and VRV INVERTER air conditioning
Air conditioning: The hotel now has the most modern VRV INVERTER air conditioning system which increases maximum energy savings and uses R410 Freon. Thermal insulation in the rooms and partitions and third generation soft coat, 4 season double glazing. Thermal heart aluminium joinery to avoid a temperature change in the interior and therefore minimize the need to use air conditioning units. Installation and use of two automatically-opening doors to avoid a change in temperature and minimize the wastage of air conditioning indoors. Instructions for guests on the proper use of the airconditioning, fixed at 24 degrees. In this way comfortable conditions and the conservation of energy are achieved. A shutdown system for the air conditioning when balcony doors are opened. The function and regulation of the thermostat independently in all rooms and public areas at 24 degrees.
Conservation of water: Installation of HANSGROHE certified, energy class A****,new generation wash basin taps with a water saving mechanism and filter. Taps by the same company and in the same series are also installed in the kitchenettes. Showers have been fitted with thermostatic taps to save energy and water and the shower heads are particularly energy saving with air-water mixers. The tap has a safety system against the uncontrolled flow of hot water, to avoid energy wastage but also for customer protectionagainst sudden hot water flow. Cisterns, also by GROHE, that have been installed feature a dual flush mechanism of three or six litres for the conservation of water.
Watering the garden: Watering of the hotel garden comes from non-potable underground water.
Hot water: The operation of a Solar Panel Array for the production of hot water using solar energy.The water is collected in large containers (boilers), satisfying the daily needs for hot water so as to minimize the use of burners.
The Beach: The beach of Rethymnon and in particular the area in front of the hotel has been repeatedly awarded the internationalBLUE FLAGaward.This certifies the cleanliness of the sea and the shore, visitors’ safety, the protection of nature (actions to protect not only the Carettacaretta sea turtle but also the ‘Lily of the Sand’ plant), organization and environmental education.
Recycling of Materials:
- Paper: Printing on both sides of sheets of paper.Pages that have been used on one side are used for the fax, the photocopier and the office printers. Sheets of paper that have been used on one side are cut up to be used as note paper. The message “Think before print” is included on the bottom of every email. Special bins in offices for paper sorting. Kitchen and toilet paper from recycled paper.
- Glass: Glass bottles for water and soft drinks which are returned and reused.
- Special collection bins for batteries, aluminium, plastic, metal and glass.
- There is a form-card in the room which the guest puts on the bed when he does not require a change of sheets.
- The encouragement of guests to leave their towels in the shower when they wish them to be changed.
- We provide beach towels for the guests and we recommend they keep them if they do not need laundering instead of returning them every day.
Food waste, of plant origin is distributed to rural areas as food for domesticated animals. Other kinds of food waste is collected for composting and landfill.
Special materials: The following materials are collected in special bins and are made available for recycling.
- Electric and electronic appliances
- LED lighting fixtures
- Batteries (weighing up to one kilogram) are collected in the reception area.
- Used cooking oil
- Refillable ink cartridges for printers
Sewerage:The drainage system is connected to the central Municipal duct. The wastewater is transported to the Biological Treatment works for processing.
Regular maintenance and operation checks on all mechanical equipment to ensure low power consumption and maximum performance.
Construction, maintenance and cleaning materials are environmentally friendly:
- Water soluble paints
- Machinery coolants which do not break down the ozone in the atmosphere
- Biodegradable cleaning detergents (Eco House)
Miscellaneous:We work with companies and suppliers who are certified by ISO 9001-14001 or other certified organisations.
We buy raw materials in bulk and prefer the minimum use of individual packaging for the restaurant buffet.
We use local products and those from our garden.
Staff training on environmental issues and the adaptation of our work on the basis of our environmental objective.